PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aviation enthusiasts left intimidated while viewing at St Athan
Old 14th Sep 2012, 08:45
bobward

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I hesitate to jump in here, but what the hell....

I've been an aviation enthusiast since the 1960's. As I grew older, and got to retiring age I had visions of spending the odd day in my dotage watching aircraft. Living in Norfolk, we had a surfeit of riches close to hand. For example, Coltishall, Wattisham, Bentwaters, Woodbridge, and Honington were an hour away. Travel for a bit longer and there were Alconbury, Wyton (Shhh!), Upper Heyford, Cottesmore and Wittering as alternatives.

Anyone spot a trend here? In these cash-strapped times, there are so few places to go, civil airports are fast becoming the few places where enthusiasts can see any sort of aircraft. Those on the inside are, in the main, ambivalent to spotters. A few have 'firm' views, as stated earlier. That's fine, as everyone has a right to their own opinion.

However, please bear in mind that the majority of us, through taxes or fares, pay for a large part of the aviation in this country. Pleas treat us with a little tolerance instead of the contempt that has surfaced in a couple of the posts here.....