PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 321 close to stall
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2012, 07:20
Gretchenfrage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's almost like groundhog day!

I wrote last year in the AF447 debate to wait for the next incident.

The worst part of these debates is that the ever same protagonists come up with the same lame an cynical statements:
"no, it has nothing to do with the AB dead stick/lever philosophy, because even the Turkish managed to dump their 737 ..... etc. blah, blah ..."

How can you try to defend a design flop by pointing to morons producing an accident with another design??? With the same argument we can abolish ABS and ESP in modern cars by showing that there are some other morons who were able to crash even highly equipped cars!
Such argumentation is not only puerile, but even cynical.

Try for once to look at the whole issue with the following view:

To my belief controls with feedback represent an additional protection in modern cockpits. Had the SFO in the left seat of AF447 had any feedback on his sidestick, he might have better realised his collegues blackout. Had the pilot of the AF321 in question had a moving throttle (that in this instance would not have moved) he might have realised the off situation earlier.

To conclude my argument:

I know there are two mights in my above statement. But if you look at feedback-controls through the above optic, namely as an additional protection, it makes absolutely no sense to abolish them.