PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How safe or unsafe is Nigeria?
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2012, 22:20
tommoutrie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its a hot, sticky place that wrecks aeroplanes and drains your spirit of the will to live. I don't stick my hands up into the nooks and crannys that I used to on a walk round because I met quite a big lizard one day in the nose gear bay. Take a serious torch - invest in a lenser. Carry test kits for malaria - have a flu jab before you go so that if you start feeling rubbish you can rule flu out.. Take malarone if you can (it gives me terrible headaches). Malarone can be used as a treatment as well as a preventative measure (will scan the leaflet and send it to you if you want). In the south the main threats seem to be robbing and mugging but I don't know anyone that its happened to personally. It hasnt happened to any of our crew. In the north there is a perceived threat from Boko Harem but its very hard to work out how serious this threat is. Try to find out who you are flying - flying charter out there means you don't know if your passenger has enemies and that can be bad news. You do need to be careful going out and about but its not impossible (money belt and a second wallet with not much in it is a good plan in case you have to hand one over). Again, this hasn't happened to me or anyone I know down there.
Be careful in bars where there are nightfighters (pretty much all of them) as they sometimes pay the staff to spike drinks and then you're in trouble. There is no way to avoid unwanted contact from them. Wear a cricket box... Its quite nice to get to know other crews working down there because you can go a bit stir crazy working with the same people all the time - PM if you want any more specific info