PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Thames Airport for London
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2012, 15:16
Skipness One Echo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I spit on any dumb-ass loader who cannot get off their fat arse to move house, when a lucrative job-transfer is offered. And I spit on your bleeding-heart liberalism that always offers excuses for the dumb, the lazy, and the downright criminal.
Calm down dear and stop spitting. I earn way more than a loader and what you suggest is beyond my means. Ever tried buying or renting in London?

There is a number, a quantifable number of good men and women holding down blue collar jobs at LHR. Now pilots are, exceptional, they are not the norm. It is a particular skill set, most people don't have it. This is a real world decision.
Of these blue collar people, the ones you see as
the dumb, the lazy, and the downright criminal.
I am pretty right wing but am a pragmatist at heart. Your analysis is just nonsensical, not everyone is cut to be white collar and educated. Some people have different skills the market just pays poor wages for and that most certainly does not make them criminals or lazy. It beggars belief that you honestly wrote such arrogant misplaced tosh. I am anything but a bleeding heart liberal but people like you make me wince.
Now, in London, most blue collar people don't have the money to relocate. (nor do I and I am pretty well paid thanks! ) Many are of non European origin, many Sikhs from Hayes, Indians from Hounslow. Many have extended families and communities. Your Fantasy Island means closing LHR, I think that we agree on. Hence these guys, and they count in the tens of thousands, need jobs. Your grandiose nonsense will decimate that economy for years if and it's a big if, until it is redeveloped,
You say "lucrative" employment on Fantasy Island? I live in London, I know the issues invoved in commuting. Getting to LHR is tricky and often expensive, Heathrow Connect is not cheap and the Piccadilly Line is busy. I don't imagine baggage handlers will be on great money in your brave new world. The capital investment costs are massive and will need to be recouped. Hence they will be offered market rate or less. How does one get to your airport? On a train that will need to be paid for?
We are swapping TFL for a Heathrow Express equivalent unless the taxpayer susidises it. Most of us took the DLR rather than the Javelin to the Olympic Park.
Hence the commute to Fantasy Island is going to be pricey and beyond the means of the current workforce as it's too far across London and would be beyond them in both money and time. Or somehow, you need to relocate tens of thousands of people from West to East London and house them all.

You avoided my question.
Where are you planning on housing them and who will pay for it?
How many to lose their jobs?
Quantify that cost to the taxpayer.
Add the cost of subisidised commuting to the new airport for staff.
Add housing costs and identify where new houses need to be built.

Jobs would be available, relocation packages offered
Relocation packages from whom? Servisair? Menzies? They pay chckenfeed as it is? Will BAA be paying a relocation package? Of course not.
BA would have to, coupled with having to rebuild the whole engineering base across town, are you still surprised Willie Walsh is not a fan.
Quantify the cost to British Airways please?
Oh really? And exactly where would people be living?
Quantify sound proofing to anyone under the flight path to the West. (oh yes, that will need to happen as it happened as LHR)

It's not the same as catching a bus from Reading or Slough now is it? Delusional grandiose fantasies lack detail and you are being found out with your bluster and spit as you can't supply numbers.

And yes, I managed to move more than 17 times, as successive companies ordered a base-change or went bankrupt. And am still in a one-room rented piss-hole. Think piloting is fun, do you?
Perhaps your attitude caught you out? You come across quite badly on here and I know a few guys who have done better than you, and enjoy piloting. Perhaps flying isn't for you?

Last edited by Skipness One Echo; 13th Sep 2012 at 15:33.