PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Counselling after an accident or incident
Old 13th Sep 2012, 14:04
jas24zzk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From personal experience, I found a counsellor that has little knowledge of your industry quite helpful.

It forces them to ask questions that someone with industry expertise would not ask. Often those questions will present the answer your subconcious seeks.

My first stoush with counselling was when I was 19. Finishing my trade ticket in a country town, driving tow trucks to supplement the measely wage. Had attended about hald a dozen fatals already, then got called to one in Yarragon. Until arrival, the fact it was a fatal was unknown. As I was driving the chase truck, it made me first 'service' on scene. I wandered over to see what was going on, although I already knew from the smell. Did the basic checks (pointless really) and walked back to my truck and drove back to base.
As this accident was on the hwy (main street of Yarragon) there were many bystanders. As it turned out, it was there reaction to my actions, rather than what I had seen that sent me a little troppo.

Counselling has a solid place in our lives. Even if you feel overcome with basic events going on in your life. Its helpful to talk to someone impartial to at least get them into a priority order. You can say what you really think without having the stigma of looking at that person the next day

Last edited by jas24zzk; 13th Sep 2012 at 14:06.