PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Robinson Safety Notice SN-25 (carb ice) - additional 1.5 in. HG MAP?
Old 13th Sep 2012, 07:13
Dick Sanford

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry Frog Fan, it was a bit early in the morning.
In my experience the Carb heat gage like another similar gage (fuel gages for example) should if possible be checked/referenced against a known measurement. With the carb' heat gage it is easy as you have an OAT gage and or your met' info (prior to first start of the day of course).
"Dare I say it" but A SN is just a SN the helicopter should be operated IAW the relevant current revision of the POH and in section 4 page 11 (which is an FAA approved page) in which RHC have not changed the reference to the gage.

Unfortunately there is no reference to or how to check the carb' heat gage in the POH, for what it is worth I have been trying to get it included for years, however I have been teaching the procedure for as many years.
I have had the pleasure of lecturing the carb' icing section of the RHC factory pilots flight safety course when my annual visit coincides with a safety course as I conduct the European Robinson R22/R44 pilot flight safety course.

For what it is worth:

I have been involved with Frank Robinson for some 32 years and have a unique relationship with the factory as a maintenance course instructor and an accident/technical investigator (I do not work for RHC, I am independent). From a personal point of view (yes, it is limited), in all my years working with Frank/RHC I have never seen the factory do anything other than deal as openly as possible with problems as they arise. The litigious world that they and other aircraft manufactures have to swim in would have caused a lesser man than Frank to give up.

That is not to say i agree with everything RHC does and sometimes it is easier for "no bodies" like me to publish things like "No Ice, Thank You"

Ok, this has gone on for to long, I do not usually get involved but this is a pet subject.

Best wishes, fly safely. Dick Sanford.

Last edited by Dick Sanford; 13th Sep 2012 at 08:32.