PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No cats and flaps ...... back to F35B?
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2012, 05:14
GreenKnight121

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PdA was designed as an aircraft carrier, specifically for helos and Harriers. Its elevators are too small for F-35B.

JCI is designed as an "air-capable LHD", and was specifically designed to operate F-35Bs... but as a secondary role while PdA is in refit, not as a primary mission.

I do expect Spain to at least place PdA in reserve (officially temporarily, but actually permanently), and to defer (if not cancel) her planned post-2020 replacement carrier. JCI will be used as a "multi-purpose vessel", probably with 4-6 Harriers embarked. A small purchase of ~20 F-35B is still possible IF the economy allows post-2018.

Giuseppe Garibaldi was designed as an aircraft carrier, specifically for helos and Harriers. Its elevators are too small for F-35B.

Cavour is designed as a "amphibious-assault-capable aircraft carrier", with operation of F-35Bs as a primary role.

GG is planned to be replaced by a second aviation-centric vessel, but this is likely to be deferred for at least 5 years beyond the current schedule. I do expect her to be eventually replaced with a second F-35 capable ship as currently approved.

The currently-approved plan is for 3 ships to replace the 3 San Marcos class amphibs AND GG: 2 mid-sized helo-only LHDs (20,000-ton 190 meters (623 ft.)) with a F-35B-capable LHA variant (using the same hull, but without a well dock) to replace GG.

I would rather the LHA be a second Cavour.

Last edited by GreenKnight121; 13th Sep 2012 at 05:28.