PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 321 close to stall
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2012, 21:33
Oakape

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a modern day phenomena and you are going to see more of it as the years go by.

The manufacturers have convinced the airlines that the automatics are so good on their aircraft that they don't need to spend a fortune on training, so they don't. They have led the airlines to believe that anyone can fly their aircraft, so the airlines employ 'anyone' when they are short of pilots.

Most pilots I have sat beside or behind in recent times have the autopilot in as soon as it is legally allowed after take-off & it doesn't come out until around 200' on final. They can't fly, or are inadequately trained, or are just plain lazy, or perhaps all three.

I have sat in a classroom & heard a TRE state that there are three pilots on the flight deck - the captain, the first officer & the autopilot! I'm sorry, but the autopilot is not a pilot. It is a pilot aid, like an autothrottle or a moving map. But pilots are buying into this philosophy for various reasons.

The best place to find out a pilot's mindset is in the 737 sim during S/E ops. Those that think the autopilot is a pilot & are used to completely handing over the operation to it on an every day basis, tend to get themselves into all sorts of trouble, as they forget they are still responsible for the rudder & the thrust lever on the operating engine. Then they blame the automatics when the aircraft turns against the heading bug, or the speed is too fast or too slow. They don't notice that the control wheel is hard over trying to fly the aircraft straight, or perhaps they just don't understand why it is like that.

It has been said in the past that the pilots of the future will just be systems managers. Perhaps we are already there & the bulk of the personel on the flight deck these days are system managers & not pilots. If this is the case, the problem may be that the systems are just not quite as good as the manufacturers have promised everyone & the systems managers don't have a clue what to do on the rare occasions that things don't work as advertised.