PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - lucky escape after collision and beach landing in Holland
Old 12th Sep 2012, 08:16
mary meagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you, maxred, for a superb presentation! a photo of a low-wing mating, so to speak, with a high wing aircraft, and a happy outcome. The discussion that follows this photo should be required reading for ALL PILOTS.

We had the same happen at Wycombe Air Park years ago; the low wing landed on top of a high wing, blind spot bites again. The only reason the pilot of the low-wing survived was the fact that a doctor was present at the gliding launchpoint and gave successful emergency treatment.

A while back I avoided a similar blind spot surprise. The pilot of the glider on tow behind me warned me of the traffic, and when I looked the wrong way commanded on the radio "TURN RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!" and I had a nasty view of the opposing low-wing's undercarriage! The glider pilot, a man of superior experience and ability, continued on tow to the planned altitude of separation; we were able after the flight, with the datalogger on the glider, to identify to the AAIB the time and place. The pilot of the opposing traffic was an instructor with a student under the hood. Another blind spot!

Mad Jock,when I said "mandatory" for any aircraft engaging in air-to-air camera games, I was referring to the laws of survival and common sense....