PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 250 kts below 10000?
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2012, 01:45
exeng
Mistrust in Management

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sudden winds

Apologies if I struck a nerve.

Your point:
1) reduced climb. If for some reason your estimated fuel on board on arrival is too close to reserve+alternate, that's one thing you can do, especially if flying with a tailwind.
Sorry but I disagree. If short in fuel then climb at max climb power and you will reduce overall burn at the expense of the engine hot end.

Your other point: [quoteyou and probably everyone else in the airline you work for are perfect ][/quote] Well thanks for the compliment but I don't believe any of us are.

Regarding the -40°C criteria, of course I donīt just automatically turn it off when OAT says -40.0001°C but I noticed pilots still using it while riding inside harmless cirrus with OATs well below -40°C.
Very good - you are correct to notice that.

Another point of yours:
AND failing to enter the altitudes for TAI ON and OFF in the forecast page. That DOES increase fuel burn.
How would you measure that? Scientifically I would doubt you have ever had the means to carry out a proper statistical study based on your assumption. Regardless of what is entered in the FMC the outside conditions are the outside conditions that exist. The FMC is just another instrument to help us manage the flight - entering this altitude or another for A/I on or off is irrelevant. Just my opinion..... We used to fly the 737-200 which had no FMC but somehow we managed.

By the way I never tell my F/O where we will start the APU because I will not insult the intelligence of my colleagues - they know what is the best option for the airfield. Occasionally they have got it wrong in and I have failed to notice.

I've tried to leave out the 'do's and don'ts' and hope that my reply leaves you feeling that I have treated you with the respect that you and everybody else deserves.

Regards
Exeng