PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 10
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2012, 22:09
infrequentflyer789

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TTex600
I mean ANY, ADIRU, ADR, pitot, static, etc, issue OR any unexpected Autopilot disconnect - as requiring the immediate implementation of the UAS procedure.
Sitting in the back with only theoretical knowledge of how it is flown, but having read most of the threads on this, that idea, frankly, scares the out of me.

Said "UAS procedure" has been discussed to death and dissected over hundreds (at a guess) of posts, and even then there seems to be little consensus among pilots as to what several bits of it actually mean ("if safe conduct..." for a start). In fact, one of the most common theories is that when PF stuck the nose in the air he was actually following part of this procedure. I don't know if that theory is correct (none of us do) but it has as much credibility as any other I've seen as to why PF pulled up.

That procedure could well have doomed 447, and you want every PF to be told to execute it at every AP disconnect

These guys knew they had UAS (cvr) and what they did was pull up into a stall. Telling them they had UAS 10s earlier helps how ? Surely it just shortens the flight by 10s ?