PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Questions about floatplanes (amphibs)
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2012, 14:15
poonpossum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about floatplanes (amphibs)

Hi. I want to put some questions to you guys who are in the know about operating amphibs, specifically 206's. Any answers or advice would be really appreciated. I have attempted to answer these myself with Google to no avail.

- How would high winds in rough but sheltered water affect the aircraft while moored?

- How much water depth would typically be needed for the plane to float?

- Can amphibs reliably taxi onto hard pack sand embankments from water for the purposes of loading?

- Are amphibian floats and straight floats separate design endorsements?

- If no fluids leaked into the ocean, would you agree that the operation of a floatplane on top of the water would have little to no effect on the well being of marine wildlife? As there is not even a prop in the water, the only thing I can think of that would be distressing would be physically clobbering an animal with a float.

Any advice on the above or anything else relating to the operation of an amphib aircraft in salt water would be really helpful. Traps for new players, things you might think typically get overlooked, etc.

Normally I would ask these questions during endorsement training, but that would only occur after such questions as the above were answered, and not determined as a factor that would bring a halt to the plan.

Thanks in advance and any input is much appreciated.