PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Joining Qatar Airways (QR) - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 11th Sep 2012, 07:17
sqn012

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Redline,

same situation here in Paris : have been asked many times by people around me "so you are still there ?!...". Every morning at the school gate : "When do you plan to leave finally ?". Answer : no idea !
French Expat generally work for petroleum companies like TOTAL, and have attractive package. They are not immigrants in Qatar but just expats for 2/3 years. They have very good salaries and nice houses close to west bay. So people around me don't understand why I have no clues about QR. Both schools of my children are really confused about what I tell them. I initially told them that we would leave on June. Still there in September, and I think still there in January, or worse, never called by QR. Qr has changed his recruitment process. Harder and longer. Too many people failing I have heard. They think the recruitment process was not sufficient. So what will happen to all of us on the talent pool who passed with the old process ?

I have 3 kids including a baby of 4 months. Not that easy to plan the big move to Doha without any info ! And I guess (hope) they will send me a small email one day saying "Your DOJ is xxx. (in 2 or 3 weeks)" !
My wife is nervous. Every day is a challenge. Jobless, no money, long waiting from QR. Do I have to pay another type rating without any real plan and a critical financial situation ? At least I have this plan to Doha. We are very motivated because aviation in France is completely dead. AF is not recruiting a single guy since 2008 and talk about redundancies today. They have a crappy plan until 2015, which is supposed to save the company. But nothing really serious have changed. BA has changed (the contracts and sometimes the salaries). LH as well I think. Will AF change seriously someday ? Not good for French jobless pilots. This is roughly the only solid and attractive company group in France. Not like in Germany or the UK where we can find other companies like German wings, Air Berlin, Easy Jet, Ryanair, Virgin, BMI ...etc
I am ready to relocate anywhere in Western Europe with my family, but nobody wants me without any experience on type. So let's wait for QR, the only chance in the World for untype rated guys ...

I have a friend who paid his 320 type rating last year. No job at the end. He is still jobless. He was looking for something in Vietnam. They are finally not interested in his profile because many guys have some experience on type in the world. And they prefer to hire foreign experienced captains, and train their local copilots (asian ones). So useless to pay a new type rating.

Aviation is definitely becoming completely crazy today. Too many young guys ready to PAY for flying in a company and buy some block hours !!! Is there any other job like this ...? I doubt. Paying to work and build at least some experience ! But what about their personal life ? How do you get married and grow up children with this kind of life ?...

The myth of aviation is dead. There are some old companies still very attractive (major ones), struggling to stay competitive. And new ones (mainly low cost), who give some jobs to all jobless pilots in the world (Asia and ME companies).

Employed guys work like hell and are bored flying, when jobless guys struggle to find a job. What a stupid situation.

Well, finally pilots are the same than yesterday. Let's meet in Doha one day, and keep aviation spirit alive (if any ...) all together around a beer.

Just my personal current vision of today's Aviation.

Flying since 1990.