PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 10
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2012, 02:45
Lyman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Tex

"Since all pitot inputs are fed into computers, I'm not sure that a line abreast display would make any difference."

My thought is that airspeed could be displayed direct to the panel, pre computer.
This alleviates isolating one seat from the other by ias. Both crew would see both airspeeds, plus ISIS. However speedy the computer, the pilots should know instantly what each pitot is giving, and then PF would select, or not, one or none, the computer might even act after a sharp pilot in deselecting the a/p, etc.

Or is airspeed presented in real time? As a pilot, why would anyone want such critical data that is seconds old?

Another thing that actually has not come up in three years. In turbulence, deviating for Wx, and fresh discussions of RecMax, exactly how startled do you think the crew were? There are handling limits for this autopilot, and I cannot imagine a pilot not already thinking about something similar that may happen.

This was a busy transit of the ITCZ, without ATC, and myriad challenges, plus a fresh consult with the cabin.

You think these pilots were shocked by the cavalry and caution?

Edit. Not my gremlin up there....

Last edited by Lyman; 11th Sep 2012 at 02:50.