PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Collective Colour Vision Thread 4
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2012, 00:46
Bealzebub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
outofwhack,

Just taking one example from my own experience of the last fortnight.

Taxiing out at a major international airport at night. Driving rain and a whole host of work in progress. The usual myriad of taxiway lighting, runway edge lighting, LVP lighting, works in progress, roadway lighting, vehicles and signage lighting. Straining to disguinguish the subtlety of aircraft tail lights of preceding aircraft in this visible spectrum. Difficult at the best of times, but hampered by the distortions of rain and spray.

Add to this mix, crossing active runways with the same impairments to the normal colour spectrum with other distractions (noisy wipers) ATC, visual lookouts for active runway traffic etc.

The subtlety of the colour spectrum is difficult enough under such conditions with the advantage of strong colour perception.

This example is without the aircraft ever leaving the ground (flying,) yet it is an integral and common part of the operation.

"flying" isn't simply VASI's, tower light guns and stop bars. It is the whole range of dynamics for which visual colour acuity plays an important part, and particular when conditions are less than ideal.

There are a great many posts on this thread that cry "foul" because the test lighting conditions were less than optimum or ideal. In this environment those conditions can be found almost every day in relative extremis.

As you spearhead a campaign, I doubt that my answer will carry much sway, but you asked and I answered.