PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Inverted flight : Principle
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2012, 18:19
bubbers44

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree, the typical aileron roll you pull up about 30 degrees, neutralize elevator and roll ending back in level flight. Bob Hoover did his famous pouring a glass of water while rolling his Shrike so slight positive G's would be required to not mess up his tie. Bob used to come out to Flabob in Riverside, Ca. and see Art Scholl regularlly when I was teaching aerobatics for Art's school of Aerobatics. He would always land on one wheel as he always did at Reno at the races.

I will see Bob and Chuck Yeager this week at Reno. I flew Art's clipped wing cub to airshows for him and learned how to do aerobatics from a book, Roll around a Point. Art figured out I was teaching my self all the maneuvers so went up for an hour with me and let me instruct for him. Of course he was getting his Chipmunk then so he didn't use the cub any more. Art was an interesting man. He did the inverted spin for Top Gun but unfortunately was unable to recover and was killed. Notice the last credit at the end says This movie is dedicated to the memory of Art Scholl.