PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is this acceptable these days ?
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2012, 10:05
Whenurhappy

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
My father - who spent the war as a mechanic (and lost an eye when a rim spreader shattered) - would never wear a ring nor a metal watchstrap. Ignoring such patently silly advice, in my early 20s I managed to weld the metal watchstrap to my wrist when I arced it between the +ve terminal of a 12 V car battery and the –ve Earth strap.

Ouch!

At least it was a rather fine MkII 3.4l Jaguar. Red, too. Same colour as the recently-cauterised flesh on my wrist.

Some years later, when I used to take SP out on RAFSA yachts, I was insistent that necklaces, rings and watches with metal straps were removed. I had previously seen a bowman on a yacht have his index and middle fingers pulled out of his hand (along with the sproingy tendons) when a ring got caught on a highly-loaded spinnaker clew.

But getting back to the OP, it does look a bit gash, but to be fair, Capt Wales typifies the delightfully languid approach Cavalry officers tend to take about things (remember his hair at the wedding?). Give him a break, he’s doing a job mere mortals could only dream about ie, killing his Granny’s enemies!

Last edited by Whenurhappy; 10th Sep 2012 at 12:20.