PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is this acceptable these days ?
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2012, 15:30
Melchett01

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Airpolice,

Fairs, fair - at least you're honest, I usually come up with some sort of lame and completely implausible excuse!

Your original comment raised a smile as I remembered reading an article in a paper whilst I was in AFG about, IIRC, a Pakistani diplomat who fell foul of Burqa roulette. He was quite a devout chap and was looking for another wife. The bride's family knew that of their 2 daughters one was passable whilst the other would probably fall into your category of "lonely, desperate, short sighted and grateful for the attention".

Long story short, the arranged marriage took place and the bride's family insisted that in line with religious and cultural norms the bride remained fully covered at all times. It was only after the ceremony had taken place, dowries been paid etc that the diplomat realised that he had literally been sold a pup. Personally had it been me, I'd have kept quiet about it out of sheer embarrassment. But the chap's legal quest to have the dowry returned was what kept the story running. Actually, in that case, I'm guessing he too subscribes to Chinese philosophy you mention!