PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Thames Airport for London
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2012, 14:42
Fairdealfrank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Richmond by-election

Ho ho, good to be ahead of the news for once!

Wrote in post #2001 on the Heathrow thread (6-9-12):
-------------
"Actually a by-election in Richmond would be interesting, it is a Conservative-Libdem marginal, Labour don't stand a chance.

Possibly, Goldsmith might be tempted to fight it as a Green (after a deathbed conversion?) or as an anti-LHR independent.

Boris may be tempted to seek nomination as the Conservative candidate in order to already be in the Commons when the time comes for Call-me-Dave to "fall on his sword". "
-------------

And today it's all over the Daily Mail and Boris has apparently denied it strongly! Surely these denials must make it a strong possibility?

Quote: "Scotland - Labour heartland and therefore irrelevant."

Not any more, SNP heartland now, not that it affects the point you're making.

Quote: "However, as you know, politics is becoming more than ever a popularity contest, rather than a serious business. Heck, Obama only had to pretend to be black to get elected and get a Nobel Prize for doing sweet FA. And if you remember, Obama's comprehensive and detailed election policy was 'we want change'. Yeah, that's real serious politics, that is."

O'Bama's phrase was "change we can believe in". Silly me, thought he was referring to the pennies and pound coins in my pocket (as opposed to the nonsense that is the euro).

Quote: "Also you should know, your President is a black man. Does that frighten you? Seems so."

Quote: "Obama black? Why so? If he was 30% black, would he still be black? 20%? 10%? What level of blackness makes one black in your view? Please do tell - an exact percentage please, +/- 1%. And why does blackness always trump whiteness?

No, Barack O'Bama is half black, half white. AFAIK his mother is white American, father black Kenyan, so, unlike his wife Michelle, he is not "Afro-American".

Of course, as with all American presidents, there is an Irish link, plus he has some link with Indonesia.

And before we go off on a tangent, he was born in the USA, (Hawaii, after it had become a state of the USA, IIRC).

O'Bama's phrase was "change we can believe in". Silly me, thought he was referring to the pennies and pound coins in my pocket (as opposed to the nonsense that is the euro).

Now, back to airports: even in the unlikely event of Boris becoming prime minister or leader of the opposition, he won't answer the questions either:

(1) who pays for Fantasy Island bearing in mind that it is a bad business and commercial proposition?

(2) how are airlines persuaded to leave LHR and pay even higher airport charges at an airport in the middle of nowhere?

If he doesn't answer the questions, nothing will happen.

In the unlikely event that he does answer the questions (and hell freezes over), nothing will happen.