PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The threat of ATC at small grass fields
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2003, 22:02
rightofway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Being involved at Barton for some 9 years myself, I can say that movements have increased some 25% since 1993. Movement figures are recorded in the exact same way to maintain consistency. We have similar movement rates now to other similarly sized airfields with FIS. In fact, we equal or exceed movement numbers at some larger commercial airfields.

I agree with Gerry Atrick that there are sometimes some unnecessary calls made, but I also feel that a lot of pilots also should brush up on R/T discipline. Is it really necessary to read back a request to 'report downwind' with 'report downwind G-AB' when 'wilco G-AB' will do, or to read back the wind on final or when departing. Its amazing the number of pilots who do. If you've only been for a local flight, do you really need to waffle on about your life history. Why not a quick call; 'G-AB horwich 2000ft inbound request airfield information'

With regard to the particular incident, there are a number of factors which are not included in the report, but which could have played a part, though I would not wish to discuss here. Too often though I feel the knee jerk reaction of some pilots to an incident like this is to blame the regulation, when they should really be looking at the wider picture. Everyone has their own part to play when flying, the FISO is just one part of the jigsaw.

Prior to the incident there were already a number of steps in place or being moved towards to releave the workload on the FISO. The primary duty of looking out of the window was and still is the most important aspect above all else. Other duties such as answering telephone calls, or logging movements are always put second place. Prior to the introduction of FIS, there were a much higher number of incidents relating to conflicts in the circuit when under a/g only and especially with incorrect phraseology being used and applied incorrectly.

There are issues I believe with FIS in general as the service stands, and these have been brought up with SRG on several occasions. There are still improvements which can be made to the service, and we are constantly striving to ensure that this happens to improve safety, which includes improved and more comprehensive training for new FISOs.
Sir George Cayley mentions about the individual FISO concerned. Perhaps any faults in the service provided at any time can be ironeed out if people actually approached the managers to discuss it, rather than holding it back for 'clubhouse gossip' instead, which does nothing to help improve safety.

Referring to the “Toy town fire men”, perhaps I could draw attention to CAP699, which is the basis for most of the changes which have occured recently. This is a new document which we are required to comply with for licencing requirements for the airfield. The changes in my view provide a much more professional attitude towards the service provision, which has resulted in a much more efficient team for almost no additional expense. And may I point out that for may of the staff at Barton, it is not jsut a 'hobby' but is also a livelyhood.

Rightofway.