PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Zero to hero pilot training FAA/JAA.. advice anyone?
Old 8th Sep 2012, 14:21
tgblackett

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zero to hero pilot training FAA/JAA.. advice anyone?

Hi everyone

My name is Tom, I'm a 22yr old Brit and about to embark upon my final year at the University of Edinburgh studying a business degree. To be frank, academics have never particularly inspired me and I've always dreamt of being a pilot!

Over the last 2 years I have explored the world of aviation seriously and have discovered 3 routes of entry to pilotdom

a). The military

b). Sponsorship through a civil airline

c). Paying yourself through a civil pilots course

I have decided the military is not for me. Whilst the training is FREE and no doubt amazing, I cannot commit. I have a great amount of admiration for the professionalism of the forces as well as some of the activities they carry out, but I know it just won't suit me.

Option B is to pursue some form of sponsorship but this seems to be basically unheard of (especially in Britain). There is little reason for me to get sponsorship, my interests at university lay with sports clubs and ski trips, not the univeristy air squadron. Whilst this may seem defeatist, I think I'm being realistic.

The final option is to pay my way from zero to hero. I am recieving £40000 in a will when I reach my 25th birthday and will also have been working for a few years up to that point and so will hopefully have saved another £5000-£10000. This gives me a lump sum of around £50000 at my fingertips when I'm 25. The research I've carried out suggests that this is in fact NOT enough to train in Britain, and I will in fact need a sum of money closer to £70000 or £80000 (too much for me).

However, I have had quotes from US Pilot schools such as ATP of $66000 who will train me through a PSE, PME, IR, CSE and CME and will leave me with 255 hours of flight experience (105 being multi engine). I am aware that this is not anywhere near enough experience to get a job as a pilot, not that I could find one easily anyway being a Brit in the States.. unless I get married

I have however discovered that many countries in Africa such as Zambia and Botswana will take newly qualified FAA pilots (often European) on the small experience that they have without making them take any conversion exams (usually to fly safari flights or something along those lines). I am a fairly experienced traveller and thus moving to Africa doesnt frighten me, also my family are moving to Zimbabwe at the end of this year, so I feel like this is actually a viable option for me and it excites me greatly.

I need some advice! Are my financial estimates realistic (AKA can I actually get fully sorted on £50000 and by 'fully sorted' I mean employed to fly on any scale)? have any of you taken the path I am planning on taking? Do any of you know ATP's reputation? Or have you trained with them? Do any of you know any other decent pilot schools in the states? Have any of you built your hours in Africa? If so.. doing what? Maybe some of you know a British pilot school who will fully train me for £50000?

These are all questions I need answering and any help would be greatly appreciated!