PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aviation enthusiasts left intimidated while viewing at St Athan
Old 7th Sep 2012, 23:00
D120A

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can understand that walter, but have difficulty with it on military airfields where the older spotters' taxes will have paid for what they are looking at, and the younger ones could be the recruits of tomorrow.

In the 1950s I was regularly moved on by the cops from the fence at RAF Biggin Hill. Didn't stop me though. Cut forward 10 years, when I am on a Comet flying from Akrotiri to Lyneham with my squadron boss:

Boss: "You always been interested in aircraft?" (I was his squadron junior engineer)

Me: "Yes, from the age of 6, nothing else interested me. Used to cycle 9 miles to Biggin Hill, just to see what was going on. Always a battle with the cops, but once had a grandstand view of the London-Paris air race, where some Group Captain was winched down from a helicopter into the right hand seat of a Hunter T7 which then scrambled for Paris."

Boss: "I was the pilot of that Hunter!"

So, make provision for spotters. Give them a spot to occupy (with a good view, a wooden bench or two and The Rules clearly posted) and give them a wave as you taxy past. Best of all, as at one fighter station I served at, send the NAAFI wagon down there mid morning and make a few bob flogging them teas and hot pasties.