PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Annual pilot tax free allowance...
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2012, 22:05
gorter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ben178v
I added it on years ago I just called the tax office and told them that I was a pilot they added it onto my tax code.
Did exactly the same. No need to fill in a tax return. It was negotiated by BALPA and you can back date it to 2006. All you do is call the PAYE section of HMRC (it's an office in Liverpool), tell them you're a pilot, quote the code mentioned earlier and they'll adjust your tax code for you (and send you a nice cheque for previous years). Simples.

The noise cancelling headset you can claim as a capital expense if your employer does not provide one. Not sure if you have to fill in a tax return or not (I do for several other reasons). You have to claim for it for several years in a row to get the maximum tax relief (on a self assessment form anyway).

The notebook is very hit and miss wether the tax office will allow the claim or not. Very dependant on who oversees your return I think. Some pilots have been successful others not.

I found all this out through balpa (and I claim my sub back too, well 66% of it anyway).

You have the right to claim a lot of tax relief for many things and it always stuns me when I fly with very long serving experienced pilots who only have the basic tax relief code (722L this year I think). The tax office have decreed you're entitled to this relief, take advantage of it!

Last edited by gorter; 7th Sep 2012 at 22:17.