PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fodder for the Ryanair haters...
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2012, 15:26
Hamish 123

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Bit of thread drift, but seeing as how this thread is all about the evil empire that is Ryanair . . . .

Flying back from Seville last week with Ryanair, our flight was late arriving from Stansted, so there was a bit of a mad rush to get it turned round quickly. This may explain why the cabin crew were announcing, as soon as people started boarding, that the first place passengers should stow their hand luggage should be the space under the seat in front of them. Overhead lockers were to be used only if no space was available under seats. As me and my family boarded early, we ignored this and used the overhead lockers, but I ended up sitting beside two folk who both did the whole journey with their feet resting on their bags. There must have been many more in that situation on the flight. At 6' 2", and with the legroom available in Ryanair, this option is a non-starter for me.

Two things strike me about this devlopment:-
  1. Safety - imagine trying to evacuate an airliner when there are bags on the floor in virtually every row?
  2. Precedent - have we now reached a situation where virtually no one puts luggage in the hold anymore, and airliners are palpably not designed to manage this much luggage within the cabin?
Neither point fills me with much confidence. I'll go back to travelling with Monarch, even if more expensive.