PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MMMmmmiles Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2003, 17:52
Hairyplane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
633 Squadron

Hi Damien B,

There is indeed better news on the Messenger than the Mossies - 633 squadron really is about 'what happens when you deliberately raise the gear on a perfectly serviceable aircraft on landing and then set fire to the thing...

The Messenger is none other than G-AKBO - alive, kicking and will probably fly this coming weekend at Turweston, where it currently resides.

THere is a fascinating chapter on KBO in Clive DuCros' story of the full size wooden replica of the prototype Spitfire.

KBO - Kings Cup Winner in '54 and star of 633 Squadron - is arguably the most original and most historic Messenger still flying.

Most of what you see today is what left the Newtownards factory in 1947.

THese are great machines that do what they were designed to do so well.

THe most incredible STOL performance - every bit as good as a Storch but on half the power, half the fuel burn, twice the range and the ability to carry - in wartime configuraton - a pilot and 4 fuly kitted troops (plus a rocking great wireless!) in and out of short, unprepared fields.

One story has it that an early Messie forced landed in a ploughed field. Once they fixed it (new prop I think) they couldn't fly it out because it just wouldn't unstick from the quag.

Guess what they did?

Took the wheels off and jury-rigged a complete lorry axle and wheels across the U/C legs! It flew out - no drama.

Those were the days.....

THe 3 'Tails of the Fifties' books by Peter Campbell - organiser of the Great Vintage Flying Weekend at Kemble in May - (a must )- are absolutely fascinating to those who are following this exciting thread.

Wonderful anecdotes.

Flying is a lot more disciplined these days - some of the stories will make your hair stand on end.

No library is complete without them.

EMail me any of you please for further clarification of anything I have posted (as indeed some of you have already).

HP