PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Midwest Beech 1900 crashes into hangar at Charlotte-Douglas
Old 13th Jan 2003, 17:24
Jetmonkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok guys, let's put experience into perspective:

A few years ago, I was flying for a parachute operation in the states. I am going to leave some details vague to protect the innocent.

We had a "just retired" major airline, L-1011 captain, training with us to start flying a King Air. According to the guy instructing him (first hand info), he had a little problem with flaring high. Eventually he was signed off. On his first flight without the instructor, he took off for a run to 14,000 feet to drop 10-13 jumpers, early in the morning. Fortunately, he took a low-time (sub 1000 hour) pilot with him that had collected some time in the operation in the right seat. We will call this guy Fred. Fred couldn't fly the airplane because of insurance limitations.

Somewhere around 12,000 feet, one of the engines flames out. The retired airline guy doesn't even make the motions to start feathering the engine. Fred takes the initiative, begins the feather and tells everyone in the back to get out now!
Moments later, the second engine flames out. Fortunately, the airplane was five miles from the approach end of the home field and a little high. A dead stick landing was made with no further dramas, except that the airline pilot had just seen his first and last flight for the operation.

It was determined that he thought somebody else was responsible for putting fuel into the airplane and he took off with about 15 minutes worth. There was no disagreement that Fred, the low-time guy, had saved the day.

Now that I'm flying jets for the airlines and haven't touched a light airplane in 4 years. I'm not afraid to admit that the 500 hour CFI, giving me a refresher in a light twin, better watch me like a hawk when I come to his field. You want to really watch me panic, MEL my FMS.

But when I finished my stint flying the Be-1900, I would put myself up against anybody in a sim with analog gauges and no autopilot.

Regards - Jetmonkey