PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 5th September QF Announcement
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2012, 06:49
TIMA9X

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Qantas deal a short-term winner but long-term outlook problematic

British Airways seeks new strategic partner after Qantas signs Emirates deal - Yahoo! Finance UK

This is a very good move by QF
Yes and No
Qantas deal a short-term winner but long-term outlook problematic

September 06, 2012 1:05PM
QANTAS will face a tough battle to win Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) approval of its Emirates joint venture, which will control over 50 per cent of traffic between Australia and Europe and effectively take one competitor out of the market.

ACCC chief Rod Sims told The Australian that it was early days yet in the regulator’s consideration but “obviously we will look very closely at any deal which sees Emirates fares move closer to the higher Qantas fares”.
Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian
I don't see this deal as clear cut as it sounded yesterday....... couple this with Singo's comments last night, the lack of involvement in the media from Leigh Clifford..

As this is a rumour network.... I have heard some strong rumours that Mr Clifford will be stepping down at the AGM..... can't prove it yet, but coming from some reliable sources who have been reliable in the past. I have also herd that AJ is fast running out of friends at board level.... make of that what you want..

I doubt BA are happy with the announcement yesterday either, they will find it tough going it alone... If anyone has heard similar, would be interested to compare notes...

certainly interesting times....

also..

I doubt Canberra will be as easy to get along with considering the embarrassment caused by AJs (LCs) decision to ground the airline last year...

Very possible they have made a lot of sleeping enemies within the union ranks buried deep in the Canberra vault.