PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Post 1945 RAF actions
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2012, 05:33
Old-Duffer

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Depending on the scope, one might also include the IS situation in Hong Kong during the cultural revolution of 1967. Large numbers of bodies floated down the river from China, many with their thumbs wired together, so I don't think they willingly jumped in.

In HK itself, there was widespread rioting, which was only quelled when a more robust police response was instituted. Several police officers and servicemen were killed and an army doctor, with whom I worked, received a Queen's Commendation for Brave Conduct. A Gurkha officer (now something of a big wheel) suffered shrapnel wounds in the bum during his very first patrol.

What we would now call IEDs were planted, including several at the Kai Tak officers mess, one of which was detonated near my bedroom - damn cheek of it!!!

It was as a direct result of the IS situation that the army, which had been reinforced with a roulement battalion, requested and got extra helicopters. These were Whirlwind 10s, taken from 103 and 110 Sqns at Singapore, shipped to HK on HMS Triumph and located at Kai Tak. In 1968, these aircraft formed the nucleus of a new squadron: No 28.

By the way TTH, the chap who didn't 'beat the clock' on 22 December 1970 now rests in St Martin's Churchyard Hereford. He was aged 24 and his parent Regt was Coldstream Guards.

Old Duffer

Last edited by Old-Duffer; 7th Sep 2012 at 05:35.