PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 10
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2012, 02:18
RR_NDB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UAS early warning. A K.I.S.S. approach

Hi,

infrequentflyer789:

...but the magic "DSP" solution is getting a bit silly.

I am here looking for aviation safety and motivated to discuss concepts, etc. related to it. I am a R&D professional always motivated to look for solutions. Your comment sounds a little bit "non motivating" for me to reply in detail on the improvement that IMO can be made to the important UAS issue. Anyway i will try to explain something feasible.

You need to process the analog signals before entering the System. Doing that you may have an information very useful mostly if System degrades the A/C and (currently) not present properly the reason for. The idea is to have an analog signal processing helping the crew with a redundant information. False positives would not cause problems and the sensitivity could be adjusted.

I dontīt like the approach to just rely on System output to diagnose whatīs going on.

Yet with your "proven DSP techniques" the machine can solve a decision problem that humans can't.
The UAS processor would not be there to solve anything. The machine would be an extra (IMO important early warning) resource to help the diagnose.

I mentioned the Airbus SAS paper but the other companies could also benefit from this approach, for the crew decision making. (The subsystem just presenting information to the crew)

What exactly is the rest of the a/c system going to do when it gets your DSP warning / alarm ?.
Nothing automatically.

There is currently no reliable system and method
for detecting whether a pitot tube and/or static port is
either malfunctioning or is indeed blocked by any of the
aforesaid debris.
No method?

somewhat over-simplistic
The concept is simple: Process the analog signals and present it to the crew, immediately. How? There are simple and effective ways to do.

Detecting and alerting UAS is only (or less than) half the problem
A "half" that triggered a cascade of events

...you also need to detect and inform when the UAS event has ceased.
No problem

Feel free to post your patent number when you file :-)
Some ideas an R&D professional could publicly with the sole intent to a faster implementation. (IBM PC x Mac, as an example).

Not magic, just a powerful processing to help the crew. This can be implemented!

I am not in this business. And no intentions to invest in it, currently.

On the "misleading", this is to be covered in another Thread. Will do it ASAP.

Last edited by Jetdriver; 7th Sep 2012 at 17:19.