PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MMMmmmiles Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2003, 16:47
Aerohack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
atb1943: There were indeed two Zaunkoenigs at Berlin, the other (yellow) a post-war example. Your mention of Mike Dunkerly's lovely Widgeon reminds me again of Viv Bellamy, who was at the controls of the SCAN-30 (French-built Widgeon) G-ARIX when it came to grief landing in the Solent in the summer of 1961. The SCAN had long been familiar at Croydon and Biggin in French, Kenyan and Irish marks. Viv and his passengers were slightly injured and rescued by launch. The remains of the SCAN were hauled ashore by tugs, if I remember right. Similarly, I think I'm correct in saying that the chap who either owned or was going to buy the SCAN, a yachtbuilder, later acquired a Piaggio P.136 which also ended up partially submerged after a landing accident in the Solent, and finished its days dumped at RNAS Lee-on-Solent. Mike's Messenger is G-AKVZ. Banner towing? Prentice G-AOKH used to trawl up and down the south coast beaches advertising Lamtex Rugs. Once, when I must have been the only 'likely lad' hanging around Portsmouth Airport, its pilot — Yeadon based if I remember — beckoned me over and invited me to accompany him (I assumed as 'lookout', because legend had it that he used to read a paperback whilst going back and forth, but I saw no evidence of that; I imagine he just wanted some company on what must have been a pretty tedious exercise). So off we went, and all proceeded well as we cruised back and forth. Then, the windscreen started to become slightly obscured by what must have been oil. "Hold her steady, will you?" said the pilot, then hauled himself half out of the cockpit to stand with one leg on the wing root, one hand steadying himself on the windscreen frame while the other polished vigorously at the 'screen with a bit of rag. Gripping that stick very firmly, his 14-year-old passenger quickly determined that if — as seemed very likely to me — the pilot should have fallen overboard, he was going to follow. That Prentice seemed very big and intimidating for the few anxious moments before the Lamtex man dropped safely back into the left seat.