PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian Aviation mag: Are our kids falling out of love with careers in aviatio
Old 6th Sep 2012, 23:47
CoodaShooda

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jack

While I don't disagree with your view of the current situation, I have to reflect that I did not pursue a flying career because I heard similar tales when first learning to fly in the 1970's.

From memory, it was 400 unemployed CPL's in Oz, the airlines wouldn't look at you once you'd hit 28 and everyone was leaving the RAAF due to reduced flying opportunities and low morale.

One of the informed instructors expressing these negative sentiments went on to retire as a senior 747 check captain with 25000 hours.

At the end of the day, we all have to make our own decisions and chart our own course.

As for the title of the thread, a straw poll at Chez Cooda finds one kid who wanted to get into aviation but is too tall, one who has regional Cabin Crew and long haul Cabin Manager on her CV and the third is in the RAAF pilot training program.

Must have been in the genes; because I didn't try to influence them in their career choices.