PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 3rd Runway..is there airspace ?
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2012, 23:39
hangten

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heathrow - There are the helicopter routes over the Thames and then there's a SVFR clearance over Ascot, right? But as far as I know, there is no way of transitioning anywhere else. I could be wrong - it's been a while since I flew in London.
Indeed, wrong.

http://www.ead.eurocontrol.int/eadba...2012-01-12.pdf

The biggest difference I found in NY area was that inbounds were down at 6000 feet or so still with 80 to 100 miles to run. That's obviously a bit different to the LTMA, not that it couldn't work though.
Not really in keeping with a continuous descent approach though surely? Leveling out at a low level and continuing for a long distance must be terrible for fuel efficiency. I'm interested to know if the FAA even have this on their radar? (Excuse pun.)

It's time to stop being so prissy about the airspace and the workload. It's not actually that bad when it comes to movements compared to many other places.
I'm not sure many here have disagreed with you as such, and apart from some willy waving statistics the London TMA, movements are still well down on 2007 or 8. Build the tarmac and we can make it work, and safely squeeze the best out of it. It's what we do. There is a LOT more sky up there than tarmac down here, and to answer the OP question, yes, there is the airspace. It may involve some moving of routes, holds etc. but you would have to build a LOT of runways before there wasn't a solution. Unfortunately all of this needs consultation...

Which brings me on to... What London needs for aviation and what London gets for it's residents will be two incredibly different things. A society that respects the rights of all it's members cannot easily replicate anything that can be done in places elsewhere (ahem, China; or even the US) and this is for the good of all, despite the obvious downside.

The discussion about airspace capacity in London demonstrates all that is good about the UK. Everybody has their say and everybody has the right to an opinion. We need aviation expansion for the good of the country though, and so let's hope the best compromise is reached sooner rather than later.

And I personally think London's TMA should become B airspace and not exclude anyone.
Class D anyone?