PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian Aviation mag: Are our kids falling out of love with careers in aviatio
Old 6th Sep 2012, 23:12
Jack Ranga

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry, if I knew how to embed a youtube vid I would:

Search this on youtube and watch it:

So you want to be a regional airline pilot.

Not being negative but if you think this wont happen here you're dreaming. In 'the good ole days' the pot at the end of the G.A. rainbow was a job with a major. Have a look at the pot at the end of the rainbow now: Qantas? Not likely. Jetstar? You will have to pay significant money to get in there. Virgin? Going down the cadetship path? But probably your best chance??

So how many jobs will be available to all of the graduates? (you) and when?? That's the big question, you are at the mercy of the economy, if you can predict what will happen here then you've probably got a shot. Who predicted the Olympic Dam bailout? Who predicted the price of ore dropping over 30% in the last how many months?

You need to take a realistic look at your chances. I've got a few mates approaching their 40's with significant multi time that are still applying for and getting knocked back for the next step, multi crew turbine (and that's the right seat). They wont be getting a shot at the airlines.............

If you want to be a pilot there are a multitude of other things you can do to satisfy your thirst..................