PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Norfolk Island Ditching ATSB Report - ?
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2012, 22:43
Jabawocky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Blackie

If what you say is correct, why did the ATSB not report on this too?

Just like many other small things, this is a significant casual factor.

The direction of finger pointing is in my opinion 40% each to pilot & company and 20% CASA for not providing active surveillance to prevent this sort of scenario.

I have said it before and will again. CASA surveillance must never be used as tool to ping people, it MUST be used as a partnering tool, partners in achieving safety. Safety by education not legislation.

This is another clear case of where ticking boxes, does not work. Assuming PA had a SMS why did medicals get missed, why did low fuel arrivals not trigger a serious shakeup long before? If they were in the system, obviously they were just stats not action items.

I am at a loss as to why the FO was not being a sticky beak in planning fueling enroute wx and planning. Even if it was a curiosity thing, you know one day I wanna be a captain. Even the smallest of critical oversight from the FO should have triggered something that would have changed the game.

Fair to say both have learned more from this than us reading about it, and will likely never be caught like that again. What have PA and CASA learned and how long will that remain in vivid memory?