PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Antonov charter
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2012, 14:11
SOSL

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Pontius N

Hi PN. Quite agree with your post #8, but in the 60's we weren't really an expeditionary Air Force (see o.p.). Much earlier and much later we were.

We have always used some civilian assets for ferrying troops around. I was thinking of kit.

Sorry I didn't really make myself clear.

When I was at Wyt in 73/74 I remember 26 was our Comms Sqn - ISTR they had Devons and a couple of JPs.

They had retired their Bassets after the crash at Valley and at the same time we enclaved the whole Station into AVGAS areas and AVTUR areas. Woe betide anyone who crossed the boundary!

We also had a couple of Canberra T4s most used for CT but also very useful for ferrying giant salmon from Norway just before the summer ball.

Thread drift and post drift but I remember a Canberra at Wyt caught fire on our pan during re-fuelling. Bowser was hooked up to the upwind wing, hose suffered fire damage, hence fuel and flames driven under aircraft to the downwind wing. Nasty fire. Funny thing; Huntingdon Fire Crews arrived at the scene before the Station fire crews

Sometime in the following century I had a buddy in Joint Helicopter Command who kindly organized a couple of taxi trips to Culdrose in Gazelles driven by reservists on CT.

Happy days

Rgds SOS

Last edited by SOSL; 5th Sep 2012 at 14:11. Reason: Sp