PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tripoli Idris 1955
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2012, 13:43
Grosvenor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tripoli Idris 1955

I flew into Idris on film location on one of those BOAC Hermes that had hurriedly replaced the grounded Comets. A week later the ill-fated Canadair Argonaut crashed. Those who survived were brought to our Grand Hotel and made members of Tripoli Beach Club.

A colleague working out there with me remembers an oil lit runway - I recall how dark it was, lit by oil lamps with a few electric bulbs whoseoriginal dimness was further obscured by layers of dust and cobwebs. Though bearing the name of King Idris it was clear that any royal patronage had nottouched the place. This was 1955 and Libya was one of the poorest nations onearth, eighty percent of its population were nomads and its largest industrywas from recycling of war-scrap from the allies and axis equipment left in thedesert during the Second World War. Idris Airport was poorly equipped andserved mainly as a staging post down to Nigeria for Europe, with an RAFdetachment to service the strategic air corridor to East Africa and the FarEast. In the night-time gloom it had all the appearance of an old countryrailway station in a black and white pre-war movie.

BUT -and here's the question. Is this recollection correct, was it all oil lamps, and what would the likely 'safety-rating' have been, pilot-wise?
I'd be grateful for actual memories or educated guesses.