PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2012, 19:43
Chugalug2

Received 226 Likes on 70 Posts
Danny I shall try to make this brief as it doesn't concern Military Aviation, let alone WW2 Pilots' Brevets, but will trust in the benevolent largesse of our esteemed moderators, as ever! I'm afraid it goes further than the upholstery (or trimming as we call it in the trade). Indeed that is the one area that I doubt you would find it, as trimmers put their faith in tacks, lots and lots of them!
Many of our vehicles have wooden bodies but the oldest of all had wooden under-frames (chassis in other words). One of the first projects I was involved with was the restoration of a 1913 London Brighton and South Coast Covered or "Box" Van which went on to serve with the Southern Railway before being requisitioned by the Admiralty in WW2 (ah, there's the Military and WW2 connection. We might just have got away with it!) to serve at Chatham Dockyard (the military liked wooden under-frame wagons, less chance of sparks and hence munition explosions). From there it came to the Bluebell but by the time we set out to restore it at the start of the 21st C it was in a poor way. Indeed as it was shunted into the Carriage and Wagon Works Sidings for work to start, one of the two sole bars (the underframe side member on which the body sits and from which the springs and axle boxes hang) gave way. In the end it was clear that all four main underframe timbers would need replacing. No way can you get hardwood baulks of such dimensions these days other than at prohibitive prices so another solution was needed, and that was to laminate together many thinner lengths of Meranti hardwood, glued together with Aerolite. Despite the obvious parallel with the construction of the DH Mosquito we decided against seeing if it would fly, so it now forms part of our Vintage Goods Set as a reminder of the huge importance of rail freight, even in the south.
Bluebell Railway Wagons - LBSCR Box Van
PS All our passenger vehicles run on steel under-frames, Danny, if that re-assures you at all.

Last edited by Chugalug2; 4th Sep 2012 at 19:59.