PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thomson Recruiting from Monday 3rd Sep
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2012, 16:45
yeoman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Poose

It was ever thus and although it will be absolutely no consolation to you, 15 years ago I was you, starting on my second career and doing it the self improver / flying instructor route although I was lucky enough to get a part sponsorship.

To answer your question: It is possible that non Type Rated pilots could get in this time around but honestly, very unlikely. The specific profile stated is only there because we have a very heavy training load this winter as we refleet a lot of our current pilots onto the 737. The problem is not a lack of trainers or sim time, more a lack of Line Training Sectors. The Type Rated pilot would need a minimum of LT Sectors.

Next on the list this time would come those without a current 738 Type Rating but another preferably Boeing glass cockpit type as again, there is a reduced training requirement.

Finally are the cadet entry which I suggest is your category? Yes, there will probably not be any opening this year and if and when, the first year will be on a fixed 8 month contract on minimal pay as you suggest. The good news is that you will depart after that 8 months with what I like to think will be some quality training behind you (I'm a trainer!), a modern and in demand type on your licence and some experience of some of the trickiest airports in Europe under your belt. I understand that when the training load allows, the Head of Training is keen to have a wide mix of recruits.

When we in BALPA negotiated the recruitment terms recently we specifically aimed to widen the net beyond the traditional training providers and break the strangle hold which I sincerely hope will capture good candidates from the modular route. as we are not paying administration fees we successfully argued that the balance should go to the cadet and thus be cost neutral when compared with the status quo.

After your 8 months you will owe nothing and the. Company is not obliged to take you on next year. The advantage is that if you do well, why wouldn't we want you back? If you do come back, you will come back on the Permanent PPY deal as previously described but will not have any reduced salary at all because you've already payed your dues as a cadet.

So, like the curates egg for you, good in parts.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards