PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2012, 16:43
Danny42C

Dust and Glues.

Fareastdriver,

Thanks for your excellent and comprehensive explanation. It just shows, you're never too old to learn ! So that was why the Spits had their svelte lines spoiled by their "double chins" - but our Double Cyclones had to tough it out !

Our singles wouldn't be much troubled by dust on the line, it's true, but we took off singly because the strips weren't wide enough for a pair to be safe. Each chap waited till the dust cloud had thinned so he could see 100 yards ahead, then opened up. One enterprising lad set his aircraft in the centre (so he thought) of the dumb-bell with the D.G. on the rumway heading and set off as soon as the chap in front had vanished in the murk. He was off-centre and soon was hopping along with the port wheel bouncing over the paddy bunds at the side.. He managed to come to a standstill without damage, but did it the normal way after that.

Danny.

Angels,

Thank you for the kind words ! I would have dearly loved to have had a chat with your Dad about the old days. Why did we leave it so long ? Trouble was, it took a decade or more for us oldies to come to terms with the Computer Age (and most of us aren't there yet).

Danny.

Chugalug,

Another feast of links for our delectation ! (I'll never get anything done at this rate). I hope the Aerolite is used only for the upholstery of the carriages, otherwise the mind boggles a bit !

Will not travel on the Bluebell Line until I receive your reassurance (only joking).

Thank you all,

Danny.

Last edited by Danny42C; 11th Sep 2012 at 19:23. Reason: Typo.