PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Discussion - engine and fuel system controls
Old 13th Jan 2003, 07:58
Blacksheep
Cunning Artificer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOMCEVAK,

While Ghengis was twiddling his mixtures and adjusting the carburettor heat he mentioned sitting in the back seat of a Hawk somewhere - hardly General Aviation - but I suppose that depends on your point of view.

My main point and surely that of the aviation hordesman himself, is that the benefits of engineering development seem to have passed much of the general aviation world by. While it is true that eliminating carburettor heating, mixture control and other contraptions for manual fine tuning the powerplant increases system complexity, the significant reduction in cockpit workload more than compensates for this. As Ghengis suggested, it reduces the number of things that the generally less experienced light aircraft pilot can operate incorrectly and leaves more time for enjoying the view.

I admit that being in avionics development biases my opinion towards automation, engine mapping and the like, but similar engineering developments have made all our lives so much easier over the last century. Resistance to change, even beneficial changes, is a part of human nature that needs to be overcome - please allow engineers like Ghengis to show the way.

Through difficulties to the cinema