PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thomson Recruiting from Monday 3rd Sep
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2012, 13:12
Poose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Matey/Yeoman,

Would it be possible to clarify a few points? The intake next week is definitely not for NON-TYPE RATED applicants/Cadets

Secondly, would this ‘hypothetical’ NON TYPE RATED “fATPL holder” intake... which is a possibility for next year be a permanent contract like this PPY one recruiting next week, or would it be a temporary affair?

While it is highly commendable what Thomson are trying to do and the sentiment is greatly appreciated - if the target market is Modular candidates, then the plan may very well be flawed from the outset... if indeed a temporary contract is all that is on offer.

All of the Modular candidates I have met, myself included, are following that route through necessity or because they were reluctant to take a higher financial risk at an Integrated school.

Thus, we could not give up our existing employment for a temporary eight month contract on the off chance that we may get re-employed the following year...

Modular candidates are on this path because we generally have responsibilities or possess no financial support, whatsoever.

If it is a temporary contract then the only people who would be able to take up this opportunity would be the ‘wealthy’ - who by default, can be out of work for an indeterminate period. So... in essence, the only people who could apply for this position would be those without responsibility, who can be out of work at the end of the eight months and those with a lot of cash to tide them over...

Not wishing to take a swipe at any particular group, but is that not the usual profile of the average Integrated Student? Young, no responsibilities and with a decent amount of financial backing...

If this cadet intake next year is a temporary contract – then there won’t be many ‘true Modular’ candidates in a position to benefit from it. I’m sorry – but it had to be said.

Last edited by Poose; 4th Sep 2012 at 15:57.