PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline/Regional Education requirements
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2012, 11:24
Grievo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airline/Regional Education requirements

G'day all,

Now I'm a long way from being put out by any of this, so it's merely a point of Interest.

I've been having a look at Airline minimum requirements, and some, but not all ask for completion of Year 12, English, Maths and Physics.

There doesn't seem to be any proportionality to this, for example, British Airways, Virgin Australia and Skippers Airways don't ask for any Educational Requirements, just the expected professional ones, ATPL's, Multi-Engine etc. Whereas Qantas and Skywest both do list Year 12 as a minumum requirement. As I say, there seems to be no proportionality to it, BA, Qantas, Virgin would be a level(ish) field but skywest and skippers surely not.

I'm curious as to anyone know's how rigidly this is enforced, or what the reasoning behind it is. The only reason I can think of is the maintaining of standards, but when you're forking out tens of thousands for licences and endorsements Year 12 seems a bit of an inconvenience to have to do as well for someone who hasn't got it. For me personally I left school about a decade ago without year 12 and joined the army, as was my wont at the time. It seems to me that if I have taken and passed all the endorsements/exams and done the hours applicable to that position, then Year 12 subjects would be a distant memory at best. I could see the value in it for a cadetship for an 18-20 year old, but a 25+ year old it seems a bit arbitary.

I realise this may incur some strong responses, I'm quite thick skinned, so feel free to put me in my place!

Thanks to any replies in advance.