PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Go-around after engine failure in light twin
Old 13th Jan 2003, 07:13
Timothy

Sub Judice Angel Lovegod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to add my name to he who who posted earlier that he had experienced shedloads of failures.

I have had eight or nine power failures (depending on what you count, the ninth was a fuel pump failure and was rectified by changing tank and switching on the electric)

These eight have included two on jets (both fracture failures of a turbine discs) one of oil being shed everywhere, one CSU failure, three mag/ignition failures and one fuel to engine failure (either carb or injection, I forget which it is on the TB10).

I have additionally had two instances where engine indications have led me to (1) abort take-off (2) shut down an engine and land, but both turned out to be indicator failures.

The irony is that the only two which entailed mechanical breaking of a moving part were both jets (my hours are roughly 30% on jets the rest on pistons.) The oil one turned out to be a ground engineer not replacing the oil filler cap on turnaround, the rest are all failures of ancilliaries; but the effect was the same: either total or near total loss of power.

So I wonder if this is the nub of the differences being expressed here. Maybe pots only break out from crankcases, or crankshafts fail, once in in a thousand lifetimes, but maybe engines stop for other, non-pilot-error, reasons far more often?

My planning for engine failure would cover all cases, hence my personal decision to fly only with a spare!

W

Last edited by Timothy; 13th Jan 2003 at 15:09.