PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Compressibility error vs compressibility effects..
Old 4th Sep 2012, 10:34
CatchThePigeon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Compressibility error vs compressibility effects..

As I understand it, EAS compensates for "compressibility error", but this "compressibility error" is a very different thing that the compressibilty effects an aircraft at transonic speed will be subject to, right?

I found a good thread here about using mach v EAS above the transition altitude which seemed to say that the "compressibility error" that EAS compensates for is in fact the delta between static pressure at sea level and whatever altitude you are measuring your speed at to get EAS.

As an aside to the above, I understand EAS is useful for predicting how an aircraft might behave at various speeds at altitude, but can it be used to predict trans/supersonic handling? i.e. will an aircraft at e.g. 380 or so KCAS at sea level behave the same as the same aircraft at mach.98 and 30,000 feet? It seems to me that one will be experiencing compressibilty effects while the other won't.

Apologies if this seems like really basic stuff, I'm just trying to confirm my basic understanding.