PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did You Fly The Vulcan?? (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2012, 08:42
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Treble One, before my time. However there was something on here a little while back.

I believe they departed Goose, went high level which was probably below FL500, then broad front due south through the radar defence line. The earlier chat named the probable line, I had thought it was the Dew Line but I was corrected and told it was the Pine Tree IIRC.

The tactics at the time would have been for high, fast, and minimal dog-leg evasion, say a track change every 150-200 miles (pure guess). I would guess horizontal separation of 20-30 miles and all permitted jammers on.

If they then attacked the RBSU and Nike sites they may have executed the 2A evasive bomb runs about 45 miles out from the targets.

For high level routing Bomber Command would have planned all the routes, timing and deconfliction. Based on the Malta Adexes just a few years later (no ECM) they were pretty sneaky with cross-over tracks to disrupt track correlation, turn-back race tracks to draw fighters out and burn off the fighter fuel etc.

That was a known tactic. To quote a US DoD report on the Mig 21 - one 360 orbit, thrown sufficiently far out, will be enough to abort the average Mig 21 intercept.