PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lydd-Le Touquet
Thread: Lydd-Le Touquet
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2003, 06:27
DrSyn

Man of the Marsh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wonderful to find that there are still some Silver City "first flight" memories out there. I lived between Lympne and Lydd and the sights and sounds of the Bristols and 'Daks' inspired my future career. The genuine friendliness of the staff towards a young enthusiast also helped greatly, in those days when security had a lighter touch.

Does anyone else remember summer days on the beach at Littlestone watching the Frieghters coming in off the Channel to line up on finals for 22, over the Dormy House Hotel which had its name boldly displayed on the roof as a friendly aid to pilots? During the peak season, so it was said, there was a landing or takeoff every 90 seconds at Lydd. Each over of beach cricket would take forever, as all the participants paused to crane their heads upwards to watch the next arrival. At least 6 of us made a career in aviation (did the rest get called-up for the MCC ?).

I too had my first commercial flight from Ferryfield to Le Touquet in July 1960. With Mum, Sis and cousin, we flew the Hillman Minx to LTQ and then made a leisurely 6-day journey to join my Dad who had recently started a job in the wilds of eastern Portugal. 10 years earlier Mum and Dad had set off from Lympne with their Humber Hawk, to start their honeymoon in Europe!

In addition to t'aint natural's observations, the minimum check-in time at Lydd was 45 mins. You were directed to a parking space, left the keys with the marshal and went to the terminal to complete formalities. There was even time to have a drink while you watched your treasured family car being driven carefully up the ramp and into the jaws of the Bristol. 25 mins after takeoff you were disembarking in France and, shortly afterwards, away on the road. If only that were still possible. It was indeed more swift and pleasant than the sea or, later, chunnel crossings -- and very competitvely priced.

As Powell himself observes in his excellent book, the demise of the air ferry was more complex than just the advent of the ro-ro. Firstly, I think, his own retirement on medical grounds didn't help, although he was far too modest to say so himself. Secondly, the failure to acquire a larger type for the future and the loss of further key staff, when SC merged into BUAF, removed part of the primary drive of the operation - a familiar theme. Also, its acquisition by P&O was like transferring custody of the estate from the gamekeeper to the poacher. All I can add is that, for us locals, it was very sad to see it all go, after over two decades of sterling service.

Unwell_Raptor, thanks for starting this thread - it made me dig out some old books 'n things! There are still a few ex-Silver City pilots and staff around and perhaps someone may pick-up on your post. Sadly, the ones who were family friends have now made their final departure.