PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Norfolk Island Ditching ATSB Report - ?
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2012, 06:31
Sarcs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gobbles mate there is no doubt about it you really know how to cut through the pony pooh and lay it out for everyone to see...but it still seems like individuals want to pussyfoot around and continue to ignore the couple of elephants in the corner!!

This bit Gobbles is oh so true..
The ATSB has become an embarrassment. I feel for the last few 'old timers', the decent investigators being hamstrung and 'softened' by a spin spewing **** machine more concerned about playing hide the sausage with Government bureaucrats.
Probably best summed up by this bit in the transcript..
GEOFF THOMSON: With good weather forecast, Dominic James headed to Norfolk Island with his fuel tanks 83 per cent full.
The first weather update for Norfolk comes from Air Traffic Control in Fiji.
It says there's some cloud over Norfolk island at 6,000 feet.
This is wrong.
MICK QUINN: In review when you look at the actual weather report that was issued, the actual cloud base was not at 6,000 feet. It was at 600 feet.
That indicates to Dominic, it reinforces his mental picture, that the forecast still is as it was, it's even better than what it was when he got the original forecast when he departed.
MARTIN DOLAN: That's not one that I am familiar with at the level of detail in the report so ...
GEOFF THOMPSON: So it might be a mistake.
MARTIN DOLAN: It, it may well be a mistake. I'll have to take a look at that.
GEOFF THOMSON: And he did.
Last Friday the ATSB acknowledged Dominic James received incorrect weather report from Fiji and changed its report.
What gets me is it takes three years to complete a report (not even Lockhart took that long!) and even then they still couldn't get it right.....nah mass top down culling is what's needed here!