PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No cats and flaps ...... back to F35B?
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2012, 05:55
glojo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can think of any number of 'things' that might have saved the Sheffield but basically the Sheffield could EASILY have looked after herself on that specific occasion and perhaps a better example might have been the Coventry, Atlantic Conveyor or any other ship, but it is history, it is over.

What I do not understand is the reasoning behind ordering these 60000 ton carriers WITHOUT cats and traps? That to me is the most basic, of basic crazy decisions and yet it has been glossed over. If Mr Boffin can tells us if EMALS was on the horizon when these carriers were authorised but these ships are far bigger than any carrier we have ever had and yet there is still a risk that they might carry on with our current status of having an aircraft carrier sailing the seven seas without any aircraft and incapable of accepting any operational British military fast jets.

Having said that I am still not convinced these carriers will ever join the fleet.

Whilst I am in wittering mode a quick question.. I am already bored of all this American election news but.... If President Obama were to be re-elected then could he make some 'controversial' decisions as he cannot stand for a third term.

From what I have read, I understand that trillions of dollars have to be saved from the US Defence budget and the F35B might be an easy target?? The US Marines have political muscle but will that intimidate this President and would he be able to cancel this version of their latest aircraft?