PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BRU Tristar visit
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2012, 05:46
Pete268

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Arfer Minnit
The MoD requirement was for 4 strategic tankers and the stated preference was for the DC10-CF30. The DC10 bidding consortium which, I believe, included British Aerospace, were offering some ex- World Airways aircraft (World Airways were a bit strapped for cash at that time). When the procurement recommendation was submitted for Prime Ministerial approval, 'She Who Must Be Obeyed' quickly spotted that the choice was between forking out scarce dollars to buy the DC10s (remember that UK plc was, itself, a bit boracic at the time) and effecting a paper transfer of the Tristars from BA to MoD and keeping the cash within the Treasury. From that point of view, a no brainer. Moreover, the Tristars had British engines so any money spent on future engine support would stay onshore. Hence, the RAF got 6 strategic tankers against a requirement for 4 (which was the original reason why 2 of the 6 did not get the full conversion to tanker/freighter config) and BA got some 'unwanted' assets off its books.
If I may ask, if the requirement was for four aircraft and they 'bought' six from BA (which would more than seem to cover the requirement), why then did they subsequently purchase the three ex Pan-am aircraft?

Also was the rumour correct that only once they had paid for these three 'ex Pan Am' jobbies and got them over here in UK, did they realise (for some reason?) that they couldn't be converted to tankers?

I do remember back in the early 80's being SLF on one of the former BA TriStars flying back from Akrotiri. It was still in BA colours (with the word 'British' painted over on the fuselage) with a BA crew. I remember thinking it was very nice to sit in the direction that we were actually flying! This was of course before Mr Marshall got his hands on them to spoil what seemed like a very nice aircraft. Its strange to think that almost thirty years on they are still trucking and tanking around.

Pete

Last edited by Pete268; 4th Sep 2012 at 05:53.