PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAAB's new turboprop
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2012, 17:12
fendant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saab Aircraft intends to develop a complete new fighter the Gripen E/F. They have a tentative agreement with Switzerland who will buy a whopping number of 22 aircraft for 3.1 Mio US$. Sweden will commit probably to an order of 40 to max. 60 planes. Saab toutes this in recent advertisements in Switzerland as " the most advanced fighter ". Originally planned to fly in 2015 the service date entry is now postponed to 2023.

I doubt that Saab will have the financial strength to survive this adventure and simultaneously develop/upgrade a new commuter aircraft. This segment is the only shrinking segment in air travel and the current Embraer/Bombardier/ATR will be challenged by new entrants like the Chinese ARJ, the Russion Superjet and eventually the Mitsubishi regional jet ( which is heavy loaded with government subsidiaries, that it might never take off ). Add to this lofty plans in India and Korea. Never try to catch a falling knife!

I have done numerous Crossair flight in the 340 and in the 2000. I must admit that I never felt comfortable in it ( maybe Crossair was part of it )